Hi everyone. I hope you are keeping well. Excited to say my album is finally out! You can listen on Spotify or Apple Music of course. However, if you enjoy the music, why not buy the real thing on Vinyl or CD? Just head over to my store and fill out the form.
For regular updates follow me on instagram @alexandervanpopta
Rotterdam based pianist, composer, producer and music director Alexander van Popta (1987) grew up around the record collection of his parents. He began banging on the Fender Rhodes electric piano of his father when he was around the age of 4, but it wasn’t until 5 years later that he actually started piano lessons. His love for Jazz & improvisation grew when he was in his early teens. Luckily, he found the ideal teacher who inspired him to study, form his first band and consider a future in music. At the same time, he started to explore composition and music production with Logic Pro.
Van Popta entered the Rotterdam Jazz Academy at the age of 18. Some of his teachers here included Kris Goessens, Rob van Bavel & Ilja Reijngoud. He also followed master classes with Barry Harris, Richard Bona, Jeff Ballard, Baptiste Trotignon & Joshua Redman. Following his graduation, Van Popta went to New York to have lessons with pianist Aaron Parks.
In that same year, Van Popta became music director/arranger of the Re:Freshed Orchestra. A 16-piece Funk/Soul/Hip Hop orchestra, based in Rotterdam. After a successful EP release and festival tour, including North Sea Jazz, the group started to work on their debut album which was released in 2016.
As an arranger, Alexander is currently working on a regular basis for the world renowned Metropole Orchestra. Credits include several Dutch pop artists such as Trijntje Oosterhuis, Boef and Broederliefde.
He subsequently has had a prolific career as a sideman. The wide spectrum of artists Van Popta worked with consists of: Gregory Porter, Ghostface Killah, Adam Lambert, Renee Neufville, Tony Allen, Zara McFarlane, Benjamin Herman, Glennis Grace, Hardwell, Fais, Afrojack, Ntjam Rosie, Teus Nobel, Pete Philly, Yung Nnelg, the Jazz Orchestra of the Concertgebouw, the Metropole Orchestra and many others. He has toured across dozens of countries, visiting Europe, Asia, the United States & South America.
Methods to Madness is available now on CD, LP.
- Apr 29 2021 t.b.a Methods to Madness Korenhuis, Den Haag
- Ntjam Rosie Elle (2010) composer, piano, keys
- The Re:Freshed Orchestra Re:Encore (2012) arranger, piano, keys
- KOFFIE Ey Lady (2013) producer, composer, keys
- Ntjam Rosie At The Back Of Beyond (2013) producer, composer, piano, keys
- The Re:Freshed Orchestra Re:Encore (2016) producer, composer, piano, keys
- Benjamin Herman Project ’S’ (2018) producer, composer, piano, keys
- Yung Nnelg Diamonds & Pearls / Serena - Uncut version (2018) producer, arranger
- Teus Nobel Liberty Group Journey Of Man (2019) composer, piano
- General & bookings ALEXANDER e: firstname.lastname@example.org t: +31651055100
- Press INCROWD e: email@example.com t: +31206188799 (office) / +31651030301 (mobile)